Sunday, October 12, 2014
My Opinion of Mrs. Dalloway
When I began reading Mrs. Dalloway, I did not enjoy it. I felt confused by the style of narration and bored by the content of the story. As I continued to read, however, I realized why it is revered as one of Woolfe's better novels. The narration, though it remains somewhat difficult to understand throughout the book, provides one major benefit that makes its confusing nature entirely worth it. This aspect, which I have devoted more than one post to, is the characterization Woolfe can achieve. Never have I read a book have the characters felt so real, so entirely relatable. Believe it or not, the dull plot (a woman's thoughts and feelings as she prepares for and then hosts a party) has its advantages as well. Because there are no extraordinary or unbelievable events, the characters and their thoughts feel even more real. In addition, the dull plot is enhanced by the addition of other character's perspectives, as well as Septimus' story arc. I would recommend this book because of its impressively "real" characters and their relatable thoughts and feelings, something few, if any, books could achieve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment